PADS-Public Action to Deliver Shelter
Spend a couple of hours giving comfort and food to the homeless. Volunteer to help out. It will be an experience you will never forget.
The Interim (Overnight) Housing Program is housed in different churches and congregations each night of the week on a seasonal basis.
The Interim Housing Sites are staffed primarily with volunteers, and each site has a PADS staff member present or on call at all times during the times the site is open. Staff and Volunteers provide dinner, breakfast, and a bag lunch; sleeping space; and support activities.
- 5pm-7p.m. Prepare dinner for clients and sandwiches for their lunches for the following day.
- 7:00pm The Interim (Overnight) Housing Sites open nightly.
- 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. Serve dinner. After dinner, guests work with Case Managers.
- 9:00 - 10:00 p.m. is quiet time and at 10:00 p.m. sleep begins. During this time, you can help clean up.
- 6:00 - 6:45 a.m. Serve breakfast.
- 7:00 a.m. the Interim (Overnight) Housing Sites closed.
Several times a year adults, teens and even kids from Christ Lutheran Church offer PADS clients a warm place to rest, and a couple of nourishing, hot meals. We work with many neighboring churches to make this happen. Volunteers provide and serve dinner, breakfast and the next day’s lunch. They also prepare the beds for the guests and clean up before leaving in the morning. Some volunteers wake up at 2 a.m. to drive in the darkness so they can work the night shift. Other volunteers fit their shift in between work and home responsibilities. People who cannot work a shift, donate food, clothing and beverages. Why do they do it? Because they are directly improving the lives of the homeless. Many PADS clients have thanked the volunteers for the tasty meals and the level of respect they receive. To find out more about PADS, log onto: http://www.dupagepads.org